First quilt finish of 2014. Hurrah!
I found a great big piece of linen blend fabric at the opp shop just after I completed the quilt top, talk about serendipitous as it was the perfect match for this quilt & the perfect amount with plenty to spare. Love that. I wonder who throws out such huge quantities of linen fabric but I’m kind of happy they do!
I used iron on cotton batting for the first time & it is ace. LOVE it. No more pins, no more spray! Gotta be happy with that. It was super simple to use. I was a little worried using it on a fairly large quilt but I had no dramas at all with it & no puckers. *
I quilted it with relaxed lines & bound it with some Ume print from the Floating World range in Russian caravan colourway. I love the dark & dotty effect for the binding :)
I really really love this quilt - the colours, the prints, the mix of textures, the size, the quilting. I love that most of my corners match up (thanks to the nifty little seam guide on my Feathrweight). Just needs a wash now to get the crinkle happening & i may just love it a little bit more then.
Thanks Carly & Amy for inviting me play with your beautiful fabrics. I had a ball!
*eta: I had quite a few comments about the iron on batting so wanted to add a bit more info. I’m not sure of the brand, sorry. Basically you sandwich your 3 layers together & give it all a good iron with steam & all 3 layers adhere together. Much like spray baste though you can pull the fabric back to reposition it.
Here’s what I did – I have a cutting table that I use as an ironing board also, it’s pretty big but not as big as a quilt (Approx 62″ x 40″). It’s covered with thick batting & calico. I guess the floor would be ok too? I ironed the backing & laid it out across the cutting table. Next I laid out the batting over the backing & smoothed it over with my hands, if it’s been folded it’s a good idea to open it out on a spare bed for a day just to relax the fold marks. Next came the quilt top (which I’d already ironed). I smoothed it out by hand & when I was happy with the position I gave it a slow press with the iron on steam. Once I’d done the table tops worth I moved the quilt over & pressed the rest with steam until all the top had been pressed. All 3 layers were stuck but just to be sure I flipped it over & gave the back a quick press. I did do a Google search & found some folks pin around the edges but I didn’t worry & it was fine. AS with spray baste you will want to wash your quilt before use to remove the adhesive.
Hope that helps :)