Bloggers Quilt Festival!

by Nova on October 29, 2013

Each season I mean to enter The Bloggers Quilt Festival  & then whoosh the week has flown by & I missed out  again-  it’s been 2 years since I have managed to sneak an entry in. Jeepers.

If you’re a regular reader you will know all about my love of scraps, if you’re visiting  for the first time – Hello, my name is Nova & I’m addicted to scraps of fabric.

So, it should come as no surprise that I am entering the Scrappy Quilt Category with my Scrappy Zig Zags quilt

scrappy chevron quilt Bloggers Quilt Festival!

This quilt was inspired by a pin which lead to a neat little tute which resulted in this quilt. It began as an attempt to slash the scrap stash but truly, it hardly made a dent – surprise surprise!

scrappy zig zag quilt Bloggers Quilt Festival!

This one is a real snuggle down memory lane,  it’s full of lovelies & uglies, trash & treasure, oldies & newies, gifted & swapped + some  selvedges – each has a place & a reason to be in it for me. Sometimes that’s all a quilt needs to be. I love it.

scrappy quilting Bloggers Quilt Festival!

I quilted it with a combination of relaxed zig zags on the machine and some hand quilting with Perle thread.

scrappy quilt back Bloggers Quilt Festival!

It’s backed with an ikea print & a strip of scraps to make up the width ( & to use up more scraps!)

quilt notes:

• triangle size 6″ finished
  • finished quilt approx 64″ x 80″
  • backed with an IKEA  print & a strip of scraps to make up the size

Thanks for dropping by, now off you hop to visit all sorts of quilty treats at  the Bloggers Quilt Festival

Camilla October 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Still love this and still intend to attack my scraps using this idea. No time to enter this time for me, hopefully next year!
Well done and good luck!

Krista - Poppyprint October 29, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Hi Nova! I’m sorry it’s been so long since I’ve visited. I’m so happy you put this quilt into the festival as I’ve not seen it before and I LOVE it!! It’s everything a scrap quilt should be. Thanks for linking the tutorial – it’s not a zig zag design I’d seen before and I think it’s brilliant. I, too, love the trips down memory lane that scrap quilts provide. Your sweet quilting is perfection here. Bravo!!

Jess October 29, 2013 at 5:07 pm

This is such a fabulous scrap quilt Nova – thanks for the link to the tutorial, it’s such a great design. I adore your hand quilting!

CJ October 29, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I remember this quilt from before, it’s one of my absolute favourites. Such a clever way to use all those scraps. I think I remember commenting before that I’d be saving my scraps to make something similar. Still saving!

Charlotte October 29, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I love this quilt so much – the hand quilting is the perfect touch!

Tracy October 29, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I have lots if long thin scraps that have been waiting for their time to shine. I think you have just pointed me in the right direction. As if the patchwork wasn’t gorgeous enough, the hand quilting makes it look amazing. I think you deserve a big pat on the back for your beautiful quilt, well done.

Tracy October 29, 2013 at 7:34 pm

All I need to say is “WOW” Brilliant design and execution! I’m looking for another project….could be the one! Thanks for doing the legwork for me! Tute is handy too!

Leanne October 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I love zig zags and this one is wonderful. The scraps are so fun and using triangles to zig and zag is a fun idea.

CitricSugar October 29, 2013 at 11:00 pm

It turned out gorgeous! And all my scraps projects seem to end up with me having more scraps than when I started – lol.

The hand-quilting on this one adds so much – great job!

Yvonne October 30, 2013 at 12:02 am

I love this scrappy quilt. The back is really beautiful too. Good luck!

Yzo October 30, 2013 at 12:10 am

Gorgeous! Your hand quilting really makes it special and adds so much beautiful texture.

Cindy-Liveacolorfullife October 30, 2013 at 12:17 am

Nova, this is absolutely beautiful. I love every single thing about it–especially the combination of selvages among the special scraps, both the machine and hand quilting. Simply beautiful.

Lea October 30, 2013 at 3:26 am

What a beautiful and cheery scrappy quilt. I love you hand quilting too.

Katy October 30, 2013 at 6:33 am

Fabulous scrappiness! I have a theory that scrappy quilts just generate more scraps though ;)

audrey October 30, 2013 at 8:37 am

Really, really great quilt! I love scrap quilts and yours is just gorgeous. Great texture with the stitching!

Jill October 30, 2013 at 8:41 am

Fabulous use of scraps! And I love the cotton perle hand quilting, adds lovely texture.

Stephanie October 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Love, love, love this! Great way to use up scraps, and the multi-colored hand-quilting lines are completely charming.

Kathleen October 30, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I particularly love the hand quilting with the colored threads and the strip of scraps on the back.

Karin på Ösäter October 30, 2013 at 11:22 pm

So beautiful! I will have a new grandchild early december and this looks like a great idea for babyquilt and a chance to use all scrapps I love.

Hugs from Karin and Sweden in autumn colours

Vicki October 30, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Delicious! You are so clever! Hand stitching rocks Xx

Fiona November 2, 2013 at 12:33 am

You must enter your quilt! It’s gorgeous!

Vicki November 2, 2013 at 3:53 am

The scrappy category is the best. I love this quilt, thanks for sharing it!

wendy November 3, 2013 at 10:33 pm

such a lovely quilt, the hand quilting sets it off perfectly

Kathy November 4, 2013 at 12:42 am

Wow! Are you kidding?! Such a unique twist on a chevron style quilt! Love the use of all the scraps. But the icing on this cake is the hand quilting…gorgeous!

Sharon November 4, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I love your quilt! Love all the bright scraps, and your colorful hand quilting is the perfect finishing touch. Thank you so much for the link to the tute! I have a ton of scraps and I’m always looking for a new way to use them. This looks like fun.

Sylvia November 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I LOVE this quilt, the scrappiness is amazing. Also the hand stitching with perle thread. I think this is gonna have to go on my make it list!

Lisa December 5, 2013 at 11:55 am

I love this quilt. I love the scrappiness and the white back ground and the quilting. Great link to the tutorial as well. Thanks Lisa

Sandy December 16, 2013 at 2:07 am

Love the scrappy quilt!! Makes me want to dig mine out and start stitching like a mad woman!! Great job!

Stephanie March 11, 2014 at 1:22 am

Wow! I just have to comment because I am blown away by the awesomeness of this quilt. I really love all your handquilting – did that take you forever? Love the mix of the selvedges and prints – “uglies” (one’s man’s trash…) and all.