fly the flag quilt along – week 1

by Nova on August 14, 2013

If you’re quilting along with us  it’s time to get those flag fabrics at the ready!

I’ve been pulling fabrics from the stash.

Going gender neutral for a baby quilt.

& scrappy of course. I know, what a shock, I hope you were sitting down for that one.

fly the flag quilt along

Narrowed it down a bit, though sitting here looking at the picture I think  I’ll maybe  throw some of the red back in & use some red for the binding too.

The pattern calls for specific sizes & special folding for cutting out the correct amount of flags which is fab & a great guide but like any favourite recipe there’s always room to  tweak so if scraps are what you have to hand then go the scraps. Some of my pieces are big enough for a flag or 2 & I’ll get more out of some of the larger bits.

I found a nice piece of chambray to hang the flags on & a giant graph paper-esque woven cotton sheet from the op shop for the back.

That’s me ready set go I’d say. Back next week with some flaggy inspiration.

Got your fabrics yet? Hop over to the flickr group for show & tell …..

Be Sociable, Share!

Kate August 14, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I am thinking a red binding would be fab! (but what would I know?? Has been quite a long time since I made anything, let alone a quilt!!)

Linda August 15, 2013 at 12:29 am

Love the flag fabrics, but the chambray, though lovely, takes away from the gender-neutral goal, in my opinion. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

xo Linda

Katy August 15, 2013 at 3:48 am

I’m digging out my flags to wave on the sidelines :)

Angela August 15, 2013 at 4:36 am

I bought the pattern and now have to raid my stash! I’m thinking this will be the perfect quilt for my sons first bed. :)

Dee August 16, 2013 at 9:32 am

Oh I do love the little mushrooms. Looking at the flickr group its a very nature inspired quilt-a-long what with the bugs and clouds.
It’ll be exciting to see how they all unfold.

Bec August 16, 2013 at 10:46 am

So tempted to join in, even though I dont know if my sister will like it for my nephew. But she wouldnt refuse it, so there’s a good comeback. I’m working on a scrappy zig zag quilt inspired by you at the moment, I just love your scrappy style!