two zip hipster

by Nova on November 14, 2012

two zip hipster bag two zip hipster

I finished stitching up this bag not long after I posted a wip shot & have been using it as my everyday bag ever since.

The pattern for this bag – ‘The Two Zip Hipster‘ – is by Erin Erickson from Dog Under My Desk & it pretty much ticks all  the boxes I was after in a bag – great size, zip closure, cross body,external pockets, internal pocket, the strap hardware (got mine here) adds a professional touch &  Erin’s pattern is easy to follow – if zips scare you a little then fear not as her zip instructions are fab & the pattern includes lots of detailed pictures throughout – tick tick tick!

A couple of little extras I added were a zip pull tab as I didn’t have a bag zipper with the larger pull so this was an easy fix  with a scrap of fabric, a D-ring & a small split keyring  hingy.

zip puller two zip hipster

I also sewed a key clip into the lining.

keyclip1 two zip hipster

Everything else was as the pattern directed & I couldn’t be happier :)2 zip hipster two zip hipster

Notes:

Bird fabric is Echino & the grey is Essex linen in Steel colourway. The zip puller is a snippet of Umbrella Prints & the bag is lined with some dusky pink (not sure which pink exactly) Kona cotton.

Find the Two Zip Hipster Pattern here! Plus Erin has some handy posts explaining bag  interfacings,  as well as some instructions to make an enlarged version of her two zip hipster bag pattern with a pocket for an ipad.

Holli November 14, 2012 at 10:32 am

Great bag! And I love the fabrics you used. Thanks for sharing all the info about the pattern.

Oanh November 14, 2012 at 11:44 am

I have just finished making one of these for my partner in “Cotton Duck” (what a funny name for a fabric!) and intend to scale up to make one for myself. I love it! And your added keys holder is brilliant; I am going to imitate (best form of flattery). Thank you! Erin’s instructions for the zips were amazing.

Rebecca November 14, 2012 at 4:25 pm

This bag looks fantastic! Love it to bits! Going to get this pattern ad add to my bag pattern collection! one day I will actually make one for myself!!

Margarete November 14, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I love this bag and the fabrics and colours – great !

Sandy November 14, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Hi Nova, great work on the bag. Really love the inset zip – haven’t tried that yet – looks like a great everyday bag. Wondering who you ordered the hardware from.

Katy November 14, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Ooh, this looks fab, love the birds on it!

Anna November 14, 2012 at 11:31 pm

That’s a great bag :) my sister has been searching for a good cross-body bag.. maybe she’ll be getting one for Christmas ;)

Nina November 15, 2012 at 2:41 am

Lovely! I keep meaning to blog the one my mum made for me, which is also in daily use. I’m thinking a slightly scaled-up version might be good too, to carry my thermos to the park…

Sasha November 15, 2012 at 3:11 am

This is such a cute little bag!!!! It’s perfect for running around!! I love that you can put it across you too. Sometimes it’s such a pain having a bag on your shoulders. The little extras you added are so nice. At least your keys won’t get lost in the bottom of your bag =D

Krista - Poppyprint November 15, 2012 at 4:19 am

Gorgeous bag, Nova! I made one last weekend as well. It’s a fabulous pattern and I couldn’t agree more – everything you want in a bag. Now, I just have to make one for myself, since the other three have been gifts for others! I love your fabric choices.

Kelly Rodgers November 15, 2012 at 10:02 am

This is so beautiful Nova.

elsa November 16, 2012 at 12:14 am

I’ve seen this bag made up by a few people and yours is definitely my favorite ~ I want to make one now! It’s so lovely!

kathyh November 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I have the hardest time capturing the correct captcha code on my smart phone — I had to wait until I arrived home to my laptop in order to comment.

Love your choice of echino in this purse. This is the right size purse for me with plenty of organizational pockets. Erin did a bang-up job with her instructions.