socks!

by Nova on August 6, 2012

Under the guidance of my (ever patient) knitty mentor Fi, (and fueled by scrummy cakes & biccies) I cast on my first pair of socks at the weekend. Yippee!  Thanks Fi x

Thanks to Amanda too for her socky words of wisdom & advice. Also  for recommending this fab book (Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy D Johnson) as a perfect starting point into the world of sock knitting. Even if you don’t want to knit socks the pictures are just nice to drool over.

Not content just to attempt socks & getting to grips with all that gusseting & heel turning business, the pictures drew me in & I couldn’t resist trying my hand at a bit of pattern knitting too - in for a penny & all that ;)

I’m making the Diamond Gansey Sock pattern  from the above mentioned book. Yum.

All the Knitty details in Ravelry.

diamond gansey socks socks!

rachelmp August 6, 2012 at 11:58 am

Socks are so addictive! I’m working through this book too, and I just love your yarn, so pretty.

Kate August 6, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Your socks are looking great! I bought this book a few weeks ago and agree with you – so beautiful.

xx

Flying Blind August 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm

So jealous of your skills!

Tezzie August 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Looking great!
Knitting socks are fun, and you’re using my favourite toe. :)
Beautiful yarn.

Nina August 7, 2012 at 12:47 am

Ooh, I haven’t done toe-up socks before, and that book looks lovely! For your next knitting adventure I do recommend Elizabeth Zimmermann’s slightly mad Moccasin Socks (Knitter’s Almanac) – you knit the sole last so that it can be completely replaced when it wears through >> no more darning.

Helen August 7, 2012 at 2:15 am

I so wish I had a knitty friend who could guide me, I’m just learning too and have given up twice on the socks I started. I seem to get stuck at the heel, so please let me know how you get on. Loving the yarn too, where did you get it? x

Caroline August 7, 2012 at 3:24 am

Well done you – I am just working on my very first pair of socks, although mine are of the top down and vanilla variety. I love the look of your socks already – I have pondered about Wendy’s book as I have her one for lace – think I might add it to my wishlist. I hope you enjoy your sock experience and I lok forward to seeing them completed. Happy knitting. C

Jayne August 7, 2012 at 6:58 am

Those sock are coming along beautifully, I am so terrified to make socks they always look so intricate!

Millie August 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

Ooooh…I am off to check out this book. I have knitted some socks, but from the top down. Yours look fantastic!

Jennifer August 7, 2012 at 9:52 am

Wonderful!! I love sock knitting…I was on quite a sock spree about 5 years ago, making endless variations of this toe-up pattern: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTwiddershins.html. I remember arriving at the point where I barely needed the pattern…it was great fun, and handknit socks are an absolute pleasure to wear (which is simply an added bonus). I still have several pair from 2007, going strong, no holes :) I just ordered the 2-at-a-time-toe-up book and am hoping to get on a another sock-making kick this winter. Have fun!

Sasha August 9, 2012 at 3:36 am

Your socks are looking great!! I love the yarn you’re using!! I have this book too. I haven’t tried to knit socks two at a time yet, but I’m hoping too soon :)

Fiona August 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Socks are looking great!
I’m not that patient – you’re just a (very) fast learner!
I have claw hand but have nearly finished the first sock…that’s one warm foot…

Lynne August 17, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Well done you. I have that book and there are lots of great patterns in it. Should you ever choose to make your socks from the cuff down, I can recommend “Favourtie Socks” and “Sock Innovation” (author Cookie A).

Karen S August 20, 2012 at 4:34 am

Socks are the kings in knitting, I love handknitted socks and wear practically nothing else during the cold months. Welcome to the dark side… and beware, it is hard to give up socks for anything else ;)

Kate August 31, 2012 at 8:59 pm

You have inspired me to launch fully into sock knitting, pattern and all. Knitting a two at once may also mean I finish the project! What needles are you using, ive a few different brands of circs and none are quite right, thanks.