wiksten tank

by Nova on April 14, 2012

after making & loving the Tova, I launched straight in & cut out the Wiksten Tank. I really want to make it in the dress length but fell in love with this fabric at Spotty & thought it perfect for the top length.

It’s a really lovely, simple pattern. The design is great & I love the front hem being shorter than the back hem. I’m not so sure about the length of the top version for me but I enjoyed the make –  the french seams and bias make it feel very special.  I will prefer it in a more structured fabric though.

I made the size medium and the only adjustments I made to the pattern were to  stay stitch around  the neckline and armholes for a bit more stability when adding the bias. To make the hem part go a little easier (trying to iron those curves was proving a tad challenging for me) I stitched  a line all the way around the hem at just under 3/4″ and ironed the hem over this stitch line  –  i lengthened the stitch to make removing it easier after hem was sewn.

Pattern calls for 2 1/2 yds (45″ width) of fabric for the top version ( that’s a lot for a tank top, I guess it’s to accommodate cutting the bias)  but I only had 1 1/2 yards which was ample. Phew!

Pocket matching proved a bit of challenge too! 3 attempts and it kind of matches. if you squint.

I am looking forward to getting some heavier fabric (like a linen or similar ) to try the dress version for layering up. Here’s a couple of completed dresses I pinned earlier that made me fall in love with this design – here & here.

Have a great weekend whatever you’re up to. I’m making  chutney & stitching today & then tomorrow  I’m catching up with some crafty friends for cheese scones and  show & tell. Hurrah!

x

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }