simple embroidery design tutorial

by Nova on September 14, 2011

key embroidery

I was very excited to be invited to share a tutorial last week over at Chasing Cottons to kick off Becs Quilt Class 101 Part 2 :) (sorry for the delay in posting about it here, I’ve just got back from internet free hols and didn’t schedule this post in, oopsi! ;))

Anyhoo, hop over to Bec’s place if you’re interested in learning how to turn a fav object into a design to embroider (it’s a quick, easy & very un-techie method  I promise!)  & to follow along with the next chapter of her fab Quilt Class 101 :) ….find my tutorial here.

Be Sociable, Share!

Brooke September 14, 2011 at 8:02 am

Very cool tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

I love skeleton keys and have a collection of them hanging on my dining room wall.

Jessica Wright September 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Oooh what a fab tutorial – I’ve always wondered how you got your embroidery to look so lifelike. I usually resort to squinting at the thing with bleary eyes in a vain attempt to get the same effect. I’ll be trying this next time! x

Rachel at Stitched in Color September 14, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Nice tut! I hadn’t thought of using photo processing to make an image embroider-ready. That’s just so easy. Thanks!!!

Katy September 15, 2011 at 1:40 am

I loved this tutorial, gave me a great idea for Christmas for my dad, thank you!

Julie September 16, 2011 at 1:57 pm

excellent tutorial Nova, thanks. I am excited to give it a go.

JMN September 18, 2011 at 5:12 am

What a great tutorial! Very interesting. I quilt, but don’t do much embroidery – perhaps I will try. I’m terrible at drawing, so this sounds like a perfect method. Here’s a question: why does your fabric have dots on it? Is it for aligning or some other purpose? I should add that I love your redwork embroidery quit blocks.

ina September 24, 2011 at 2:48 am

Hi Nova, I LOVE your tutorial using Picnik! I’ve been spending too much money at Kinkos to get things ‘mirror image’. ;0

I would like to print the tutorial so I have it for future use. I don’t see it in a file anywhere? Am I being clueless? ;0

deborah October 15, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. I’ve been wanting to try my hand at embroidery… feeling inspired now!