random half square triangle love

by Nova on July 4, 2011

I love half square triangle quilts and finally I braved one! my first real adventure into (neat!) half square triangles! woot! all thanks to my new Go! baby cutter.

Inspired by ‘Sew Katie Did’s’ stunning half square triangle quilt, I made ‘Shards’, a throw size quilt top (yet to be quilted…). It reminds me of shards of coloured glass.

half square triangles random half square triangle love

This came together in next to no time and I can’t tell you how in love with it I am.  I am excited to get it quilted now (not quite sure how just yet… please feel free to offer advice ;) )

I was really impressed with the go! cutter. I’m always a tad skeptical when it comes to gadgets & gizmo’s but I can truly say I  am very impressed by the go! baby cutter. It’s super speedy (i cut 216 triangles in well under 10 mins), it aids in precise and accurate piecing, it’s safe, it’s portable and it is hand powered ( no batteries or plugs required) & really, the waste is minimal if you’re clever with your cutting beforehand (see my vid below).  Also you get to choose which and how many dies you want to buy so you’re only purchasing what you know you will use. If you’ve been thinking about getting a go! baby cutter & have hovered over the buy button, I’d be happy to answer any questions you have the best I can, just drop me a line (on side bar) or leave a question in the comments below.

Here’s  my go! baby cutter in action. Hopefully it will give you a good idea of  just how quick and easy it is to use…

I have also put together  a little tutorial for you with directions to make a random and modern half square triangle throw size quilt not just like mine ;) the beauty of it is you just chain piece and don’t even think about it and end up with a unique &  randomly pieced quilt. Play with colour combos, add a feature fabric, just have fun with it!  It’s so quick and carefree to put together, especially with a little help from my new cutting friend ;)  Get my tutorial here. ( my tute assumes you have a basic knowledge of machine piecing)

half square triangles cut random half square triangle love

216 triangles in well under 10 mins…

…chain pieced …

flags2 random half square triangle love

& add a border to offset your ‘shards’…

shards quilt top random half square triangle love

My border pieces were patched together with what I had to hand, hence all the seams ;) plus I cut one bit too short. Oopsi! Measure twice, cut once & all that!  Once it’s quilted the lines will all merge so I’m not worried, plus I love random seams. Odd I know.

Happy half square triangling  :)

‘Shards’ – random half square triangle throw size quilt top tutorial ( all fabric details, dimensions etc are listed on the tutorial page)

For more info on the Go! Baby cutter visit the Accuquilt website & btw, they have a sale on their dies until 5th July! yay!. While you’re there why not sign up to their email list so you never miss a sale & get the latest accuquilt updates :) plus sign up now & receive 22 free quilt patterns! yay!

pin it button random half square triangle love

Kate July 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I’m sure it will come as no surprise but I LOVE the shards quilt x

Lynne July 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Looks lovely, especially with the light shining through it like that.

Melissa July 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I love your half square quilt, I too have been wanting to make one… one day.

Adrianne (Little Bluebell) July 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Love it!! You picked great colors.

Rachel at Stitched in Color July 4, 2011 at 10:49 pm

This is the perfect project for no-decisions improv piecing. I really enjoy how the finished HST portion has all sorts of interesting relationships between the HST colors because of the random piecing. Looks like I’d like to get the HST die!

Krista July 5, 2011 at 1:50 am

How lovely to hear your voice! Great vid, Nova. I wish I hadn’t been so impatient and learned to angle my fabric before I cut all my 2″ squares for my QR Code quilt. Hopefully they will put a note about that with a picture on the packaging for other’s like me who want to cut 5 minutes after opening their box!!!

Eileen July 5, 2011 at 7:50 am

Looks like I’ll be putting a Go! baby cutter on my wish list ASAP! :) Shards is so beautiful!

svetlana July 5, 2011 at 9:44 am

love your quilt top. It turned out beautifully. Great job! I’ll be working on one soon, too.

Benta July 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I love the randomness of the blocks, and the sea glass colours: love it

Lorraine July 6, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Love that quilt , colours are devine :)

Sarah July 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Hey Nova, great quilt! Love the colours and randomness of it all. x

katie July 9, 2011 at 11:46 am

Can’t resist a hst, I love them all.

Kim hicks August 5, 2011 at 8:04 am

That looks beautiful Nova! Thanks for the tute and the video too.

Stephanie August 11, 2011 at 3:59 am

Looks like a stained glass window! Can’t wait to see it quilted.

Julierose September 26, 2012 at 6:24 am

I LOVE your tute–I just also love my “Go Baby”…thank you for bringing to my attention how to PLACE the fabric and adding the 1/4″ on the die–SUPER!! Julierose

ria March 14, 2013 at 10:03 pm

hey, love the quilt, am looking for something that would look striking in purples – simple pattern, my partners daughter would love a quilt in purple and silver ?? not much joy with the silver, but I reckon purple, aqua and black would look great, what are your thoughts??? Ria

Ria March 14, 2013 at 10:06 pm

as above ria March 14, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Lizzie December 10, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Thanks for this tutorial! I have to say, I share your love for odd seams. I know I should cut better, but sometimes it doesn’t happen, and if the quilt is for me, especially, I like how that adds to the whole effect.

Janine February 23, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Ok, I love your quilt, went to accu quilt website to check out the go! baby cutter… awesome!! I downloaded some of their free quilt projects, and put my request in (to my hubby) for the go! baby cutter (or the go! cutter). He has been really supportive of my getting back to sewing & embroidery (a new Singer for Christmas!)and is happy to see me so excited about sewing again and all of the quilting possibilites. Can’t hardly wait!!

Shirley Peters March 19, 2014 at 7:48 am

Even having this clever cutter, I can’t quite believe that you are still making 1/2 square triangle units with ‘triangles’!
It is so much easier using squares, thus making two at a time and having NO bias seams to sew.
Love the finished quilt though. gyB3