for the love of scraps :)

by Nova on April 26, 2011

To say I love sewing with scraps is probably a bit of an understatement ;). For me, that feeling of satisfaction when you make something useful or beautiful from almost nothing, (or something that was destined for the rubbish bin) is just fab.

Are you a scrap~a~holic too? How do you sort & store your scraps? I have a tub that I throw scraps into as I work on projects, then when it’s full it gets tipped out, scraps are colour coded  and put into plastic tubs ready for another adventure. I am also guilty of saving the smallest morsels of fabric, you just never know…. it might turn out to be just the piece I need in a future project ;)

Tired of feeding yummy scraps to a dull plastic tub that sits on my cutting table, I thought they deserved something a little more, well, nicerer, to live in. So, for my project for the Pre-Cuts Issue of Fat Quarterly (Issue 5) I came up with a Scrap Bucket made from fat quarters with optional  ‘scissor’ & ‘scraps’ embroidery designs…

scrap bucket1 for the love of scraps :)

scrap bucket scraps for the love of scraps :)

All details, directions to construct the fabric bucket & the embroidery designs to transfer are  inside Issue 5 of Fat Quarterly, available to purchase from 27th April.

Kate April 26, 2011 at 10:27 am

Beautiful and useful, lovely Nova x

Angelina April 26, 2011 at 10:34 am

This is so super cute!! Love it!

Vanilla April 26, 2011 at 11:51 am

This is adorable!!!
I also keep the tiniest morsel of fabric (you just never know, like you said it).
But I keep them in a transparent folder with an elastic band. Not very handy, I must say. Your idea of the bucket is practical and at the same very decorative.
I loved it. (and as it happens, I have the same fabric too!!!)

anna April 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm

love it!!! of course. :) and awesome that you sort through your scraps so thoroughly.

Jacey April 26, 2011 at 10:54 pm

So cute! I love the scissors.

Danielle April 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Love it! Totally adorable!

fiona April 27, 2011 at 1:13 am

Oh i just love it!!

Will be renewing my subscription!!

Fi

Carolyn April 27, 2011 at 1:19 am

I feel totally overwhelmed by keeping every single tiny scrap at times and I have to admit, the smallest scraps, I throw away. I know, it’s bad. But I do it. The bigger scraps I definitely keep and also feel so good about making something out of them.

amandajean April 27, 2011 at 3:03 am

i sort my scraps very simliar to you. and i also save ridiculously small ones. i have a new catagory: mini snippets. they are tiny. :) and i love them.

your scrap basket is just lovely, lovely. as always!

erica April 27, 2011 at 5:34 am

What a lovely scrap bucket. My scraps are in a crummy old plastic bag! x

andrea April 28, 2011 at 1:16 am

i’m definitely a scrap-a-holic too ;)
i am currently tossing mine into a basket that
s overflowing.
this is such a cute idea:)

Jo April 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm

gorgeous buckets! My scraps could definitely do with more aesthetically pleasing organisation – currently the are stored in a big old heap o ziplock bags on my fabric shelves. I keep anything bigger than about 1.5″ square. I nearly cried recently when I read a blog post by someone who throws out anything smaller than 12″x12″! She could have sent it to me!

Jennifer April 29, 2011 at 7:26 am

I love scraps. I find it very hard to part with any of my off-cuts. I have a tub for my favourite fabric scraps, then another for not so favourite fabric scraps and then another tub for teeny tiny scraps that I am sure will come in handy one day.

Usanomimi April 30, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Hello from Germany
what a cute fabric it is! Could you tell me of whom is it?
Can’t wait to sew an similar one.

Nova May 1, 2011 at 5:43 am

I just sent you an email Usanomimi, but just in case anyone else was wondering all three fabrics I used to make the bucket are by Cosmo Cricket. The scissors are from the ‘Tailor Made’ line and the ‘graph paper’ fabric ( which you can’t really see in the pictures very clearly but it’s the main lining of the bucket and the inside of the handles) and the ‘writing paper lines’ fabric are from the ‘Girl Friday’ line. :)

usanomimi May 1, 2011 at 6:11 am

Wow. Thank you for your early reply.
I wonder, if I can buy these fabrics in Germany.
Apropos, I love those Zakkas (little, small cute things).
Have a nice sewing time!