snip snip. umbrella prints trimmings challenge

by Nova on March 30, 2011

I was excited to receive my pack of trimmings for the Umbrella Prints challenge :)

The pieces I got in my pack ranged from approx 4-6″ in length and 1 1/2 – 4″ in width or there a bouts. There were 13 pieces in total. The packs are all different which is what makes this challenge so fun :) I can’t wait to see more entries in the flickr group.

Within the challenge I also set myself the challenge to use what I had to hand (scraps ( i used natural linen, some off cuts of green essex linen, brown linen & some moda crossweave in teal), threads, buttons, beads, zips etc) and not buy anything to complete the projects I made.

Hmm…but what to make…? I knew I wanted, actually needed,  a needle case, it’s been long overdue in the making and too many needles have sunk into pincushions only to be rediscovered with an unexpected ‘ouch’. This seemed the perfect excuse to finally make myself one :)

& so it began with a needle book & I decided if there was enough left over to make another treat or 2, well, then that would be a bonus. I wasn’t expecting to make quite so much though! Every time I finished a little thing there was still a pile of trimmings waiting to be sewn into something. Yay! I just kept on sewing until the little pile was no more and i ended up with a very practical sewing kit for ‘on the move’ sewing. So much prettier than the usual plastic zip locks my sewing bits normally get popped in as I’m heading out the door.

Okey dokes, here’s a breakdown of what everything actually is in case you were wondering…..!

exhibit #1 needle case ::

I had a couple of gorgeous buttons that I had been saving for a special project. They are resin ( I think), set with Australian native seeds, really beautiful. I’m not sure where they are from as they were a gift but they go perfectly with the trimmings colours I received in my pack I thought.  I didn’t have any wool felt so I felted a piece of woolen blanket. Loosely based on the shape of this needle case tutorial as I liked the handy pockets, though I omitted the binding, snap fastener and made up my own size. Finished size  of my needle book (closed) is approx 3 1/2″ x 4 1/2 “.

exhibit #2  zippered project bag ::

A definite improvement on  the  plastic zip locks I normally use to transport little wip’s in. I added a lining to make me smile and a divider on the inside to separate any wip on the hoop from other bits and bobs that may be rattling around inside the pouch. I used my ‘go-to’ lined zipper purse tutorial as a base pattern for my zip purses and just changed the sizes accordingly to suit the need.  Finished size approx 11″ x 11″. An improv log cabin, some hand stitches, a ticker tape label and a homemade tag completed this project & still there was more…

exhibits #3 & #4 scissor case & mini pincushion ::

I had a tiny little metal zipper from the opp shop, the perfect size for embroidery scissors to fit through with ease.  I drew a slightly pointy shape for the purse to accommodate the scissor shape so they didn’t wriggle around too much.  I drew around a pair of little scissors and used this as a pattern to embroider one side, the other side is pieced and embellished with random stitches.  I lined it with a heavier weight calico to stop the points poking through.  Attached to the zip pull is a handy little pincushion.  Finished size of scissor case  approx 3 1/2″ (at the widest part) x 5″ & the pincushion is a wonky approx 2″ square.

exhibit #5 notebook cover ::

so often when I’m quietly stitching is when ideas for other projects come to mind so I tend to always have a little notebook to hand. But now I have a fancy shcmancy covered notebook to hand.

I had another of the pretty resin & seed buttons to use and then kind of just made this one up as I went along to fit the notebook that normally swims around nude in the bottom of my bag. Finished size approx 5″ x 3 1/2″

exhibit #6 pencil case ::

of course a notebook needs pens and pencils and they now need an equally fancy holder of their own  so they don’t feel left out…

I reversed appliqued the ele print. (eek! those elephants are so cute)  The zipper was a treasure I had picked up at the opp shop  awhile ago, I love vintage metal zippers & this one has a fab ring pull on it. A  few loopy stitches and a vintage button for the back & this little ‘doodle’ case was done. Loosely based on the design of this tutorial though I changed the shape & added a lining. Finished size approx 6″ x 7 1/2″

So surely that must be the pile of trimmings all used up by now? nope ;)

exhibit #7 thread catcher.

wherever I go a trail of threads seem to follow so it would be a  good idea to try & be neat and tidy and gather up snippets and threads as I go, right? This little soft, boxy thread catcher will be just the thing. I lined it with some wadding & interfaced the lining to give a bit of structure but its still soft enough to fold down to pop in my project bag so I can attempt to be neat wherever I might be sewing. Finished size approx 4 1/2″ wide by 3″ high.  eta : pattern now avail! yay!

exhibit #8 covered tape measure

have tape measure. will travel. you just never know when one might be called for.  my tape measure was looking a little scuffed & worse for wear & was in  need of  a new coat. I used this cute tute & attached a  heart with Vliesofix & appliqued it it place with some hand stitches. the X’s mark the spot where the retractable button thingy is.

exhibit #9 small zip purse ::

for all those little bits & bobs ~ unpicker, thimble, thread, band-aid( you just never know!), needle threader etc etc etc…. Improv pieced and a mix of machine & hand quilting. I used my fav zip purse tute mentioned earlier. Finished size approx 6 1/2″ x 3 1/2 ”

and then I really was down to the trimmings of the trimmings but waste not want not is my sewing motto so I squeezed one more project out of the leftovers..

exhibit #10 homemade cards

fabric snippets held in place on recycled card with a small dab of glue stick then stitched in place. 4 improv, modern quilt cards. yay.

& that is what  I made from my trimmings pack & I love  my new travel sewing kit ~ yay for practical pretties :)

…i can’t wait to see what others continue to make as the May 1st deadline approaches…. so fun!

Claire - Matching Pegs March 30, 2011 at 9:09 am

Wow.

You have done a great job, what a lot of matching pieces, and all so stylish. I am impressed.

Kiera March 30, 2011 at 9:23 am

WOW!! Seriously impressed. You were busy! Great job!

Kiera

Alisa March 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

I LOVE what you’ve done with your trimmings pack. All of the items are beautiful and one-of-a-kind.

Gabrielle March 30, 2011 at 9:32 am

Wow! You are so talented. I really love all these little projects. They make me want to go rummaging through my scraps to see what I can make. I wish I had taken part in this challenge, those fabrics are so pretty, my favourite colours actually. All the little details are so amazing, especially that last little zip purse, so cute!

heather March 30, 2011 at 9:53 am

YOU can NOT be serious!!!

I swear you are the craftiest, cheeky little minx i know!

If you don’t win, then they must be completley daft and put down quickly due to the possiblitiy of it spreading to the general public! period.

Xo

jeni March 30, 2011 at 10:00 am

Wow! LOVE everything you’ve made! I’m not sure I could even choose a favorite item! Really beautiful :)

Alexandra March 30, 2011 at 10:06 am

I love all of these so much! I couldn’t even begin to pick a favorite! Practical pretties indeed:)

Catherine March 30, 2011 at 10:46 am

Nova, I love your blog and am so naughty at never leaving comments. But I could NOT let this post go by without saying how amazingly clever and gorgeous all your little things are. Thank you so much for sharing all these gorgeous goodies with us, and for the excellent pics, and also for sharing the tutorial links. I have bookmarked them all! I am so inspired. You have such a great talent. Fingers crossed for winning the Umbrella Prints challenge! Have a great day.

krista March 30, 2011 at 10:54 am

Holy cow Nova! You definitely set the bar in this contest. Awesome, awesome stuff.

tia March 30, 2011 at 11:25 am

What a bunch of awesomeness! You have really taken this project to the next level. It is AWESOME all that you have made…and each thing is lovely and perfectly useful. I have a bunch of those beads from Australia. I bought them before I moved back to the US and I treasure them dearly. “No Worry Beads”. They have a website. You are one brilliant little lady! Great job.

Kate March 30, 2011 at 11:37 am

Setting the bar very high! These are fantastic!!

Leonie March 30, 2011 at 11:41 am

Well done Nova, you sure got value out of your material scraps!

Angelina March 30, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Ok, look little lady. You are killing me with all this awesome stuff! Gaaaaaaaah! That scissor case is adorable. I love all your little goodies here. You did an awesome job with your trimmings!

Also, I ADORE your single girl pillow. What a thing of beauty!

KerryQ March 30, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Well, game over. You won. Beautiful kit!

Heather March 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I, too, don’t usually comment thought I should. But after admiring (and drooling) over your latest work, I just couldn’t help myself. I MUST tell you how much I admire and enjoy your work and your particular style!

You have inspired me immensely!

Rosalie March 30, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Amazing, they are all stunningly beautiful. Well done, such a lovely job :)

Eileen March 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Oh.my.goodness!! What a beautiful collection! You met the challenge and then some! I can’t wait to start voting for you!! :)

Judith March 30, 2011 at 3:34 pm

This is mightily impressive. So much gorgeousness from so few scraps. Fantastic work.

kerry March 30, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Amazing- you have made so much- I think restriction can bring out such dynamic creativity and it certainly has this time- unmistakably your work too- beautiful!

Tracy March 30, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Wow you certainly stretched those scraps, my favourite is the project bag.

Kellie March 30, 2011 at 7:32 pm

You are 50 flavours of Awesome Sauce! What a treat to see this fabulous collection – totally made my night Miss Nova xx

Nan March 30, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Wow, you are amazing and creative!!! I really like the scissor holder.

WandaFish March 30, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Unbelievable!!! What fun to look at :) A completely stunning array of crafty loveliness and inspiration!

WOW!!!

Brie Henri March 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

When I grow up I want to be like you. It’s amazing how much creativity can be possessed in one person! You are an inspiration to this beginner quilter/sewest!

Carly March 30, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Umm I wonder if I can vote? must check with Amy on the rules .. What you have made is exactly what I was hoping for.. you have really ‘got’ what we have been banging on about with using every last morsel… Good Luck hey!!

patricia March 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Holy cow! I am blown away (and seriously humbled) by this beautiful and practical project. Thank you especially for posting the link to the covered tape measure tutorial. What a great little gift idea. Thank you so much for sharing these treasures with us.

anna March 30, 2011 at 11:22 pm

wow, what a cool set of items and such a cool challenge. I’m totally amazed at all you came up with. :) Maybe all the manufacturers should sell little packs of their fabrics, haha, I’m sure it wouldn’t be cost effective for them! hehehe

Sarah March 30, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Wow you did a fabulous job on these! So inspiring!!

venus March 30, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I LOVE IT!!! I love it all!!! The scissor pouch is my absolute favorite. Love-love-love…

Thanks for inspiring me!!! :)

Meg in CT March 31, 2011 at 12:15 am

Nova, you are such an inspiration! What a stylish little kit you have for yourself now–I’m in awe!

Connie March 31, 2011 at 1:16 am

Fabulous! Thanks for the inspiration.

Lynn March 31, 2011 at 1:45 am

What a bundle of awesome! Great job. I love all of the little details.

Missie March 31, 2011 at 2:02 am

Completely inspiring. Thank you!

Krista - Poppyprint March 31, 2011 at 2:12 am

Stop it! You’re amazing! Nova, you’ve just got the sweetest touch with everything you make. What an incredibly inventive contest entry (entries!!). Congratulations and keep us posted (do we get to inundate them with votes for your amazing work?).
I heart each and every one of your wee works here, but mostly I’m happy your notebook is no longer nude.

Suzanne March 31, 2011 at 3:21 am

Get out of town! This is incredible. What a treat for you and such inspiration for the rest of us. I love how small and detailed everything is.

Jo March 31, 2011 at 4:34 am

ohhhhhhh Nova, you are good! I love it all, but for me its a toss up between the scissor pouch and mini pin cushion and the thread catcher – ingenious and soooo pretty. Tell me, do you plan your finished item first or does the design develop as you start to piece it together? (I’m mostly the latter). Superb.

Rachael March 31, 2011 at 5:09 am

I think I do rather well when I make ONE thing from my scraps, but you have outshone yourself with this little lot! You’ve done amazingly well in coming up with so many pretty yet also useful things. What an inspirational post -one I will probably refer back to many times when I get ‘sewers block’!

Caroline@ToffleCraft March 31, 2011 at 5:41 am

Nova, that’s some impressive work. Also you’ve given me some great ideas of what to do with a bag of Tufted Tweets scraps that I won the other month. Thanks! The minimum will be a needle case, pin cushion and a project bag, as like you I keep resorting to using plastic bags. Not so elegant. Also I’m looking forward to the next issue of FQ so I can see your pattern for the thread catcher. Great idea. Well done!

Jacey March 31, 2011 at 5:55 am

Seriously? You rock, Nova. You came up with so many lovely, crafty things here, and I love that the coordinate without being too matchy. Well done!

catherine March 31, 2011 at 8:26 am

wow – I love these so much. I am so inspired (and may never throw fabric scraps out ever again… well actually, I don’t throw them out now, they just go to my daughter, but now she may notice her supplies dwindling!). Good luck – remind us when it’s time to vote!

Saffron Craig Fabrics March 31, 2011 at 9:11 am

Wow great post. You have certainly been busy creating. What you have made is great. My favorite is hard to say Nova as they works so well together.

Lisa March 31, 2011 at 7:12 pm

What a lovely collection of projects! Brilliant use of scraps to make a one of a kind travel kit.

Lisa April 1, 2011 at 5:56 am

Wowza! I’m gobsmacked that you could make so much from so little! You’re my hero. It’s all so beautiful & perfect. I love everything, especially the thread basket, brilliant!

chics April 2, 2011 at 1:47 am

Great blog! Glad we found you. Looking forward to diving into some of your projects.

Desi April 2, 2011 at 6:26 am

Oh…..this post was exactly what I needed….a breath of fresh air and beauty! Thank you for sharing your talent and giving information so generously!
Desi

Vivika April 3, 2011 at 6:24 am

So cute. I love them all!!!

SerendipitiJoy April 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Amazing. How wonderfully clever and thrifty to get so much mileage out of the scraps. But now this means that I will never ever throw out a scrap again, no matter how tiny.

Katy April 4, 2011 at 4:19 am

ok – you are the supreme Queen of frugal sewing. I don’t think anyone else should even bother trying to make stuff with their trimmings. You win.
(and that scissor pouch is bloody fab – who’d have thought it would be possible to covet a scissor pouch quite so much!?)

mathea April 4, 2011 at 4:29 am

Wow, what an amazing array of useful and pretty items you’ve made from this bundle of scraps. Well done, you are such an inspiration!

Lorraine April 4, 2011 at 6:10 am

Speechless , is what I am !!!
Plus they are all gorgeous

debra April 5, 2011 at 7:49 am

omg!!! how do you do it….i am ashamed of myself…these are adorable…totally rock and i love the way you used the remnants of the remnants to make such sweet cards…groovy day x

Paisley and Lace April 6, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Oh my. Everything is so lovely. I especially like the thread catcher.

Siobhan April 6, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Very funny because I bought a scrappy pack and actually did a similar thing with out even knowing about the challenge!!!!Although I only made one big thing!

Rachel at Stitched in Color April 8, 2011 at 1:25 am

Nova, as many have already said, this is AMAZING. The level of detail you put in (loving the zippers and pulls) is inspiring. Each piece is a work of art. Yours would be a well-deserved win!

amandajean April 9, 2011 at 11:24 am

oh, my, goodness~ this is cuteness defined. i love all of it. i want one of everything! it’s hard to pick a favorite because all the components are just spectacular.

tiffany April 9, 2011 at 11:26 am

spectacular! i gasped as i scrolled down the page… everything truly couldn’t be lovelier.

Victoria April 15, 2011 at 12:21 am

These are all adorable and wonderful! I especially like that scissors case with the mini pincushion. Clever, clever, clever!

leslie April 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm

these are all absolutely gorgeous – nice work!

anka April 30, 2011 at 7:07 am

I am in awe. When my sewing skills grow up, I want to be able to do such lovely things, too.

tusen May 22, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Amazing. I think it’s the most clever way of using scraps I’ve seen so far and all the things you’ve made are just beautiful.

Jenny August 23, 2011 at 1:33 am

Hi Nova, I just discovered your blog and this amazing work you did with the Trimmings. I tend to work a lot with linen and modern prints, and recently added stitches to some of my project. I LOVE your style!

In case you see mysterious traffic coming to this post from Facebook, I linked to it on my blog’s FB page (http://www.facebook.com/stumblesandstitches). Thanks for the inspiration!

Susan March 14, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I just stumbled across your post when I was searching for ideas for a small scissor case. Using your picture as a guide i have just whipped one up, and will definitely be making more. Your work is gorgeous….thanks for sharing.

bellalily March 18, 2014 at 6:48 am

Your sewing kit and cards are amazing –